Originating & Underwriting
Solutions that help meet tomorrow's mortgage needs today.
With industry leading mortgage technologies, we enable lenders to successfully originate and underwrite loans with speed and efficiency. Our products are designed to:
- Help grow your business and support your borrower’s needs
- Deliver speedy and efficient underwriting recommendations intuitively aligned to your process and loan origination systems
- Provide comprehensive credit risk assessment with fewer touchpoints and corresponding financial and operational impacts
Lenders also can receive freedom from certain representations and warranties and help reduce manual processes and cycle times through Day 1 Certainty®.
If you are not yet a Fannie Mae Seller, click here to learn more about the process to become one.
Impact of COVID-19 on Originating & Underwriting
These resources provide policy information for originators related to COVID-19. Updates will be posted as they become available.
- Lender Letter LL-2020-03, Impact of COVID-19 on Originations (updated May 19, 2020) provides reminders and temporary flexibilities to support mortgage originations.
- Lender Letter LL-2020-04, Impact of COVID-19 on Appraisals (updated May 5, 2020) provides temporary flexibilities to our appraisal requirements.
- Lender Letter LL-2020-06, Selling Loans in Forbearance Due to COVID-19 (updated May 19, 2020) provides temporary liquidity options for certain loans in forbearance after loan closing.
- Scenarios: Loans in Forbearance Due to COVID-19 and Representations and Warranties (April 22, 2020) provides scenarios to help lenders understand and implement the temporary flexibilities described in Lender Letter LL-2020-06.
- FAQs (updated May 5, 2020)
- Remote Ink-Signed Notarization job aid
- Appraisal flexibilities resources
- Loan Delivery Information for Loans in Forbearance Due to COVID-19
- View Fannie Mae’s COVID-19 update page for additional information
Featured mortgage products
97% LTV Options
View 97% LTV/CLTV/HCLTV financing options that help you serve qualified first-time home buyers and support refinance of Fannie Mae loans.
The HomeReady® mortgage includes innovative income flexibilities that can help your customers qualify for an affordable mortgage with a down payment as low as 3%.
Learn how HomeStyle® Renovation provides a convenient and flexible way for your customers to finance home improvements and repairs as part of the purchase or refinance mortgage.
Whether purchasing a home or refinancing their current one, help your borrowers finance upgrades to reduce utility costs and improve the comfort and safety of their homes with a HomeStyle® Energy mortgage.
See how our innovative offerings, including MH Advantage®, can support affordable alternatives to site-built homes.
Streamline your refinance process
With mortgage rates near all-time lows, the demand for refinancing remains high despite the COVID-19 pandemic. Borrowers are attempting to take advantage of the low rates, while lenders grapple with the surge in refinance volumes and the backlog of mortgage loan applications.
Learn more about the solutions that can remove steps in the refinance process by leveraging appraisal flexibilities available for Fannie Mae-owned loans.
GSE Validation and Approval of Credit Score Models
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the GSEs) have published a Credit Score Solicitation to request applications from prospective credit score model developers for the “Validation and Approval of Credit Score Models.” Visit the Credit Score Models page to view the solicitation or learn more about how Fannie Mae uses credit score models and credit scores.
This white paper describes the importance of a foundation based on data standards as the mortgage industry moves to innovate and deliver the digital experience borrowers want.
Selling Guide Communications and Forms
Access forms, announcements, lender letters, notices, and more to stay current on our selling policies.
Affordable Housing Initatives
Fannie Mae continues to help increase access to mortgage credit in all communities across the nation. Learn more about our efforts to grow affordable housing supply and support continuing the education about sustainable homeownership within the industry. Fannie Mae also provides multi-language resources for lenders.
Find business resources for the following specialists:
Uniform Mortgage Data Program
The Uniform Mortgage Data Program® (UMDP®) is an effort undertaken jointly by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac at the direction of the Federal Housing Finance Agency to enhance data quality and standardization.
Simplify the Cycle
Featured origination technology solutions
DU and DO
The underwriting powerhouse Desktop Underwriter® (DU®) & Desktop Originator® (DO®) connects our technologies, simplifies processes, and has processed more loans than any other origination system.
DU Validation Service
Validate a borrower’s income, assets, and employment to process more loans faster while giving a superior customer experience.
Collateral Underwriter (CU)
Receive an automated risk assessment of an appraisal report through CU® to streamline review and proactively manage appraisal quality to originate mortgages.
Condo Project Manager
Stay on top of condo projects with this web-based checklist ensuring projects are meeting Fannie Mae’s project acceptance standards.
With EarlyCheck™, lenders identify and correct potential eligibility and/or data issues early in their processes and prior to loan delivery.
Uniform Collateral Data Portal
With UCDP, electronically submit appraisal reports for conventional mortgages delivered to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.