Desktop Underwriter & Desktop Originator
Today, more than ever, mortgage industry professionals need to save time to generate more business. Desktop Underwriter® (DU®) – the industry-leading underwriting system – helps lenders efficiently complete credit risk assessments to establish a home loan’s eligibility for sale and delivery to Fannie Mae with easy-to-use, powerful tools.
Rely on Fannie Mae’s industry-leading automated mortgage loan underwriting system to:
- Provide a pathway to Day 1 Certainty® and help reduce paperwork and cycle time via the DU validation service.
- Help lenders, brokers, and correspondents generate more loans, boost profitability, improve customer service and gain a competitive advantage in a tough marketplace.
Through Desktop Originator (DO®), sponsored mortgage brokers have access to DU.
Effective March 1, 2021, lenders and brokers must use the redesigned Form 1003 and DU MISMO v3.4 file for all new loan applications. Applications started prior to March 1 can remain in their original DU format and form version.
The new UIs and their job aids can be accessed on the new UI webpage.
The new UIs will only accept and access submissions of loans in the new DU Specification MISMO V. 3.4 (DU Spec). Any loans in the 1003 3.2 or MISMO V. 2.3.1 formats should be accessed and submitted in the classic UI of DU/DO.
To help you get started, check out our Quick Guide for answers to common questions about accessing DU to submit loans in the new format, error messages, implementation timeline details, and more. This resource will be updated periodically, so if you have questions in the future, be sure to check back to see if your question has been added.
Classic user interfaces:
Features & Benefits
- Delivers speedy and efficient underwriting recommendations by aligning with lender processes
- Fast and dependable automated underwriting options for purchase and refinance loans
- Improved credit risk assessment using Trended Credit Data
- Capability to analyze explanations for inaccurate foreclosures, bankruptcy, and mortgage delinquency information on a borrower’s credit report that would affect recommendation and eligibility for sale to Fannie Mae
- Action-oriented and detailed messages via the DU Underwriting Findings report
- DU Validation Service April Release Notes | April 17, 2021
- DU V. 11.0 Release | Mar. 13, 2021
- DU for Government Loan Release | Jan. 16, 2021
- DU Support of Redesign URLA | Jan. 1, 2021
- DU V. 10.3 Release | January 16, 2021
- DU Validation Service November Release Notes | Nov. 2, 2020
- DU Validation Service October Release Notes | Oct. 17, 2020
- DU V. 10.3 Release | August 15, 2020
- DU Validation Service May Release Notes | May 4, 2020
- DU V. 10.3 Release | May 16, 2020
- DU V. 10.3 Release | April 11, 2020
- DU for Government Loan Release | April 11, 2020
- DU Validation Service April Release Notes | April 18, 2020
- DU for Government Loans Release | Jan. 25, 2020
- DU V. 10.3 Release | Dec. 7, 2019
- DU for Government Loans Release | Oct. 19, 2019
- DU V. 10.3 Release | July 20, 2019