Single-Family Green MBS
Our Single-Family Green MBS demonstrates our commitment to leading and innovating green mortgage financing. We are improving environmental sustainability in the homes we finance and the communities we serve.
Fannie Mae has issued over $1 billion in Single-Family Green MBS since the first bond was issued on April 22, 2020 – the 50th annual Earth Day celebration. The initial Single-Family Green MBS was developed in partnership with lender/builder: DHI Mortgage and D.R. Horton. Since then, the program has expanded to include Lennar Home/Lennar, NVR, LHM Financial, and M/I Financial, LLC.
Our Single-Family Green MBS include either purchase money or refinance mortgage loans backed by newly constructed single-family residential homes that have received approved green building certifications within the last five years. For participating lenders, we offer market-based pricing for eligible loans backed by green building certifications. “Green” pricing is available and will adjust based on market conditions and support of the program.
Determine your eligibility
- Read our Single-Family Green Bond Framework
- Review our Green MBS Approved Certifications and Term Sheet
- If you can answer “Yes” to questions 1 and 2 below, contact your Fannie Mae Account Team for more information:
- Do you currently deliver loans through Fannie Mae’s whole loan conduit (cash window)?
- Are you able to identify newly constructed residential homes that meet green building certifications? (e.g. ENERGY STAR Certified Homes Version 3.0 or higher)? If yes, which certifications?
- Are you able to identify existing residential homes that meet any green building certifications? If yes, which certifications?
We partner with PEG, LLC to provide a third-party validation to ensure the properties underlying the MBS received an eligible certification.