Mortgage lenders and servicers play a key role in helping homeowners deal with the financial effects of hurricanes, fires, floods, earthquakes, and other disasters. With the frequency and severity of such events affecting communities nationwide, we’re here to help.
We’re committed to offering the tools and flexibility lenders and servicers need to provide effective assistance, including payment relief, loan modifications, and even the additional recovery support provided by HUD-approved housing counselors at Fannie Mae’s Disaster Response Network™.
Fannie Mae Disaster Resiliency & Relief
View corporate news releases and other resources.
How to Respond When Disaster Strikes
Following a disaster, we rely on our customers to implement our Single-Family Selling and Servicing Guide policies by assessing property damage and addressing the needs of impacted homeowners. In addition, our account teams work closely with customers to determine physical and operational impacts to their businesses and their ability to service mortgages owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae.
Look for Fannie Mae Announcements
When a severe disaster occurs with widespread property damage or significant community impacts that affect the ability of homeowners to make their mortgage payments, we may issue press releases, Guide Announcements, Lender Letters, or Notices with updates or temporary relief policies. Refer to our corporate Disaster Relief page for consolidated disaster-related information.
Refer to the Selling Guide and Servicing Guide
For mortgage loans not yet acquired by Fannie Mae, the Selling Guide describes our policies related to properties affected by a disaster. Our servicing policies related to disasters are included in the Servicing Guide. The Lender/Servicer FAQs provide additional information that may be helpful.
Where to Find the Selling Guide Requirements for Disaster Assistance
Our selling policy covering disasters can be found in the Selling Guide under the following topics:
- B2-3-05, Properties Affected by a Disaster
- B3-4.3-07, Disaster Relief Grants or Loans
- B4-1.4-10, Appraisal Waivers
- B5-4.2-02, Disaster-Related Limited Cash-Out Refinance Flexibilities
- B5-7-02, High LTV Refinance Underwriting, Documentation, and Collateral Requirements for the New Loan
Where to Find the Servicing Guide Requirements for Disaster Assistance
Our servicing policies covering disasters can be found in the Servicing Guide under the following topics:
- B-5-01, Insured Loss Events
- B-5-02, Uninsured Loss Events
- C-4.1-02, Suspending Credit Bureau Reporting
- D1-3-01, Evaluating the Impact of a Disaster Event and Assisting a Borrower
- D2-2-05, Receiving a Borrower Response Package
- D2-3.2-01, Forbearance Plan
- D2-3.2-07, Fannie Mae Cap and Extend Modification for Disaster Relief
- D2-3.2-09, Fannie Mae Flex Modification
- F-1-13, Processing a Fannie Mae Cap and Extend Modification for Disaster Relief
- F-1-30, Processing a Fannie Mae Flex Modification
- Property Preservation Matrix and Reference Guide
Refer Homeowners to our Disaster Response Network for Non-Mortgage Assistance
Our mortgage servicers are vital to disaster relief as the sole source of mortgage assistance for impacted Fannie Mae homeowners. But a borrower’s ability to make their loan payments is tied to their broader financial recovery. That’s why we offer HUD-approved housing counselors through our Disaster Response Network — to help homeowners with challenging recovery steps, such as filing FEMA, insurance, and SBA claims. After providing appropriate mortgage relief, we encourage servicers to refer Fannie Mae homeowners to our Disaster Response Network at 1-877-780-1199. Learn more from our FAQs.
For guidance on special circumstances related to servicing loans in areas affected by natural disasters or COVID-19, servicers may:
- Contact our Single-Family Servicer Support Center at 1-800-2FANNIE (1-800-232-6643), option 1, then 3 or contact their Fannie Mae servicing representative
Sample Scripts to Contact Borrowers*
- COVID-19 Forbearance Script
- Servicer Script for Homeowners with a Resolved COVID-19 Hardship
- COVID-19 Post-forbearance Script
- Forbearance Script
- Modification Script
*Fannie Mae Connect credentials are needed to access the scripts.